Week 1... Part 1
Okay, so I did it! I did it! I did it! I did it!
What did I do?
Organized my bathroom, that's what!
(I told you those "before" photos were inspirational...)
So, here they are... the "before" pics:
This is the master bathroom closet. You can tell I've attempted organization in here before with these bins.
And under my sink. I tried to organize here too.
Under Dan's sink. Not really organized...at all.
Our bathroom drawers.
The "toothpaste" drawer... kind of.
Dan's drawer...um...yeah. There is no "after" pic for this one.
My drawer. See? I'm actually an organized person! Don't give up on me yet!
And the dirty bathroom counter. I will actually admit... I can't quite remember the last time I cleaned it... eek...
Okay, now, don't worry... it all turned out okay! In just two short days! And I even made it out of my pajamas and did all those mommy things too!
How did I do it?
Well, I really really really wanted to organize my medicine. That was the whole inspiration behind organizing the bathroom. Because, if you look up at that first picture, you will see a whole SHELF of medications overflowing from some clear plastic bins. That closet was kind of like a pharmacy. But, we had NO idea what was in there. We were always looking for eye drops or wondering if we had sinus medication. And there were so many medications, we most often just gave up looking and went and bought more of whatever we wanted/needed at the moment. "Hey, do we have any NyQuil?" "I don't know. Do you want me to check?" "Nah, I'll just run and grab some at the Dollar General." (Never before that Dollar General was built did I think I would EVER shop at a Dollar General on a semi-regular basis. But, alas, it's the only 5 minutes from my house as compared to 15 minutes for everything else...so, it doesn't really matter how much milk costs... I'll be buying that $4 gallon if Zoey's out at bedtime.) Anyway, the first thing I wanted to do was organize my medicine. So, that's what I did first.
I sat down with a notebook and went through all of the medication in the closet. I made lists of the types of medication we had - pain/anti-inflammatory, prescriptions, cold & sinus, etc. I came up with about 10, and knowing that I wanted those little 3-drawer systems, I went ahead and divided things up into 12 so I would have all drawers occupied. This happened to include band-aids & gauze and creams like Neosporin. Once I realized that I would be organizing that kind of stuff too, I just took off and created little labels for EVERYTHING. I sat down at my computer last night and typed a label sheet (the little 5160 Avery labels that come 30 to a sheet) FULL of every type of thing in my bathroom, including an "Other" for all those "other" things I would undoubtedly find. I ended up with 28 labels. I printed them out, stuck them on some card stock, and ran to the teacher store for laminating this morning (Zoey loves the teacher store, so it was a win-win).
After laminating this morning, Zoey and I took a few more trips, the one pertaining to this organization being WalMart. Ahh...the dreaded WalMart. Besides being horrendously disorganized and a pain to park, Zoey also managed to figure out how to slither out of the buckle (and I had to be smarter than the toddler and figure out how to TIGHTEN said buckle) and climb from the seat portion of the cart to the storage portion of the cart...all while I was trying to pick up a big stack of drawer systems stacked too precariously high that I knocked all over the floor, much to the enjoyment of the men standing around laughing in the hardware section. No, no help needed...thanks for ASKING. Anyway, this trip to WalMart involved no toddler shoes in the mouth, and I was able to get four of those 3-drawer thingies for $9 each. So, success...
(Side note of a not-so-success - I totally skipped out on my lunch bill. I did. I successfully took a 22 month old out to lunch at a sit-down restaurant BY MYSELF, went to change her diaper, and walked right out of the restaurant with the ticket in the diaper bag pocket. Unpacking the diaper bag later, I called to see if I could pay over the phone. They told me just to bring in the ticket on my next visit and thanks for my honesty...whoops... The waitress was kind of crappy, but I think I still owe her a big tip.)
So, after all of our park, grocery shopping, and other adventures out on the town, we returned home to cut out lamination (me), organize medication (me), clean the bathroom (me), and nap (Zoey).
Thanks to some new drawers, my new labels, some Velcro dots, and one little helper (I use the word helper loosely - this happened to be the helper who helped by letting me clean and organize while playing in the room with me and not screaming at the top of her lungs for me to hold her or let her play in the sink...again) the finished organized bathroom finally came together by about 9:30 this evening...
Now, for the "after" pics... Ahhh.....
After: Underneath my sink! Ta-da!
The new "toothpaste" drawer - you can actually tell it's a toothpaste drawer now!
My drawer - looks the same, just a little cleaner...
Under Dan's sink. Totally improved. This "Other" bin happens to be mouth care...whoops.
I cleaned. :)
The NEW organized master closet. Sigh...
The medicine drawers are all organized - finally!
I even left spaces for toilet paper and tissues! And remember, these are attached with Velcro dots...so they're easily moved around and interchangeable.
Wow - seriously, I have like a dozen shower gels! Who knew?
All that NyQuil we kept buying? It just barely fit in that Cold, Cough, & Sinus drawer. We have way more cold medicine than any family really should.
Dan patronized me, of course. The cats, meowing for dinner...he says, "Oh, I wonder where the cat food could be. Oh! Convenient! Here it is next to the Cat Food label." Boo...
My girly stuff all organized.
Doesn't get much more girly than this...a nail polish & makeup tray? Yep. And that is a big ole diamond ring paperweight in the middle! Thanks for noticing!
The view from the mirror...
Ahh...isn't it spectacular?
Does it inspire you?
Really, it wasn't all that difficult. I accomplished this task with a TODDLER in less than two days. And by toddler, I mean a toddler.all.day.long. As in, the only break I got today was NAPTIME...between the time Dan left for work at 6:25 am and returned after hanging out with his friend at 8:00 pm. Yes, so...if I can do this in less than two days while being a single mommy to a 22 month old, including a trip to the teacher store, WalMart, the park, lunch out - FAIL, and the weekly grocery shopping... you can totally do this! :) And you will be on an organizational high like me! (Thus still awake blogging about organized medicine drawers at 11 pm...)
And what about those rolls?
Well, I made a copycat recipe today for Sister Schubert rolls...you know, those sweet delicious yeasty kind that come frozen in the aluminum pie pans? I altered the recipe a bit and they didn't come out QUITE right...so, the roll recipe will have to wait until I make a few more adaptations... they were close, even fooled Dan into thinking they were actually the real thing - apparently my husband has never had a homemade roll before - WHAT?!?!? - but I'm thinking they need a bit more sugar... so, I will experiment next week and give you my final review and recipe at that time...
So, not bad for Week 1. And...it's only Monday!
No comments:
Post a Comment